Tortillas are an excellent way to add variety to the food you are eating. Though a part of the Standard American Diet, meat tacos were always enjoyed by my stomach because of the ability to make them in so many different ways. Adding chicken, steak, beef, fish and shrimp, among many fruit, veggie, and condiment variations allowed me to keep my lunch and dinners fresh. Of course, a whole foods, plant based lifestyle does not allow me to use all the greasy oils, dairy products, and meats. BUT, that doesn't mean we can't have a healthy, vegan alternative that provides us the same opportunity for variety!
This Fat Free Whole Wheat Tortilla Recipe provides you with 10-12 servings. You can adjust to make more or less depending on your need.
- Combine whole wheat flour and water in a large bowl and mix well. You can add salt and baking power if desired at this stage. These ingredients add a different flavor variation.
- You can add more water if needed to help make the consistently like that of bread dough.
- Knead dough on a floured surface until soft.
- Make dough into balls (with the provided ingredients you should have 10-12)
- Flour a cutting board or similar surface.
- Roll each ball as flat as you can on this floured surface to the form the shape of the tortilla.
- Use a skillet and heat your stove top to medium-high heat.
- Place tortilla in heated pan for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until starting to bubble and brown.
- Turn over with a spatula for another 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Remove cooked tortilla and place on a plate. It will be hot, so be careful!
Hopefully you enjoy these no oil, fat free tortillas. They taste great and are an excellent substitute for the many fatty tortillas. The simple recipes also makes it easy to add variety as well. Of course, you will want to pair your tortilla shells with other fruit and veggie ingredients such as beans to prepare the best possible meal! I'd suggest trying Instant Pot black beans and our Amazing Green Pepper Sauce!