If you are a fan of spaghetti (I know I am, given that I eat it 1-2 times per week), you will love my homemade hearty vegetable spaghetti sauce. It tastes great, and is relatively easy to make if you have about 45 minutes to prepare. If you make too much, you can always put it in a jar and place in the refrigerator for additional use throughout the week.
- 2 28z cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 large handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 3 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small zucchini, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- In a large pan or dutch oven sauté shallots, garlic, and green pepper in the vegetable broth for 7 minutes over medium heat.
- Add in zucchini and sauté an additional 5 minutes.
- Dump in the 2 cans of crushed tomatoes, fresh basil, Italian seasoning, and S +P.
- Turn heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Bonus Picture of the Hearty Spaghetti Sauce on Spaghetti:
For more recipes, check out the Plant-Smart Living Digital Recipe Guide!